One of the first questions I get asked about Jordan is whether or not it is legal to drink alcohol in Jordan. My answer is simple, “Of course, alcohol is legal in Jordan!”
It does not surprise me that people ask. Other countries in the Middle East do not have alcohol for sale and the recent World Cup in Qatar highlighted strict alcohol laws! Jordan is not the same as other countries in the region. Jordan has 90% Muslim population, but the other 10% are mostly Christians and are free to sell, purchase and consume alcohol. With that being said, it can be hard to find alcohol to buy when you are in small villages, but most tourist spots do not pose this issue.
Are there Liquor Stores in Jordan?
Yes, you can find liquor stores in Jordan. They are prevalent in Amman and Aqaba. There are no liquor stores in Petra. If you want to buy alcohol, do it before you travel to Wadi Musa. Note that liquor stores are closed during Ramadan.
Where to go for a drink in Jordan?
There are plenty of places to go for a drink in Amman and Aqaba (and even Petra too). There are upscale hotel bars, a pub, and small bars like the photo below (Bonita Inn and Tapa Bar) that are packed on the weekends!
When you are in Aqaba, most (but not all) restaurants serve alcohol and in beach resorts, you could be at any resort in the world, you would never know you are in Jordan! This is especially true in Tala Bay and Ayla.
When it comes to Petra and Wadi Musa, the Cave Bar is the most popular place to get a drink, but the 5 star hotels in Petra also serve alcohol.
The Dead Sea has plenty of hotels serving alcohol. Most 4 and 5-star hotels have bars inside.
Local Breweries and Wineries
The most popular beer in Jordan is probably Amstel. You can also find Petra beer as well. There are a couple of local breweries. that are gaining in popularity. One is Carakale. You can visit their brewery and you can buy it in most liquor stores in Amman.
Jordan has two local wines. Jordan River wines and Saint George Winery. They produce over 1 million bottles and most of it is for the local market.
Drinking Alcohol in Jordan
Overall, it is fine for foreigners to drink alcohol in Jordan. Be respectful of the local culture. Do not drink in public, refrain from public drunkenness, and respect the norms of being in another country.
Lindsay fell in love with Jordan when she first visited in 2016. She now goes back every year to explore more of this special place. Lindsay is also the owner of Amman Food Tours, a social enterprise that is women-owned and hires local female guides. This project provides meaningful employment for women in Amman.